Pages

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Gone but not forgotten

Irene came through a week ago but the effects linger on. Susan and I had a small forest of fallen branches, about four hours without power, and a few anxious moments while the stream at the end of our property rose up and over its banks - but no closer than maybe 30 yards from the house. However, not everyone was so lucky. I was restricted to short 30/35 mile rides for most of the week but today went out for a 75 mile tour. For the most part I had no problems but there was plenty of evidence of Irene's impact. The roads, especially the real country roads, still have lots of loose gravel and dirt where the streams and creeks overflowed. In a couple of cases bridges were out and more than a couple of instances where the asphalt was completely washed away and I was forced to walk the bike around the barriers and over the disabled road. Also still lots of areas without power and more than once I was maneuvering around the big construction vehicles of the power companies who are still removing fallen trees and trying to re-string their electric wires. That being said it was a gorgeous day for riding today and lots of cyclists out in Mercer and Hunterdon counties. For some I'm sure it was an escape from wet basements and and filling out insurance claims forms but we are into September - we won't get too many more of these sunny, warm summer days.
I did remember my camera for a change and so herewith a few photos of some of the hurricanes reminders. The covered bridge is the last one still in use in New Jersey. The water came within a foot of the bridge but no damage was done. The house with the blue tarp was cut almost in half by a falling tree - fortunately the occupents were not at home, there would not have been any survivors....And, final thought: less than three weeks to Portland. Much as I am stressed out over the dual house situation I can hardly wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment