Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Tick, tick, tick.....

The time is getting closer...less than a month and we will be in Portland Maine setting alarm clocks for 5 AM and heading down to Florida. I'm starting to get excited but at the same time am never sure I've ridden enough or climbed enough hills. I was out yesterday and tried to combine both the climbing and distance. I finished the day with 82 miles including one long stretch along the Delaware River of maybe 30 miles of just flat out cruising. And on the coming and going I managed to climb a total of 3800 feet - so my training conscience felt good last night and my legs felt like it was time for bed. Lots of miles to go but its all part of the adventure. And what's with this East Coast weather phenomona? First the earthquake - how rare is that in Virginia? Because of my years in California I knew instantly what it was but could not quite believe it. It did no damage here but did re-arrange a couple of pictures on the walls and certainly gave my New York born wife something to think about. And now we are getting our first full-blown hurricane of the season. The TV weatherman had his tracking map ending at exactly Portland Maine on last night's forecast. Tracy always says a little weather just adds to the story we can tell when we finish the ride - I can only hope she has room for a few extra umbrellas in her truck. And for all you non east-coasters, the hurricane lasts a little longer than an earthquake but usually the sun comes out the next day - assuming survival we will be ready to roll.

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully the Hurricane will blow behind your back and give you a nice tail wind.

    ReplyDelete