Pages

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Almost ready...

One of the rules for this trip is the thirty pound weight limit for luggage - did you ever try to pack for a four week trip and limit yourself to thirty pounds? I have been packing and repacking off and on for the last two days. We obviously can't spend all our time in spandex so a minimum supply of "civilian" clothes are required. And one set of biking stuff is hardly enough - we do tend to sweat a bit and after a (short) while that tends to draw frowns and funny looks from people. So I'm happy to say I think I've got the packing done and it came in at exactly 29.1 lbs. Now I can only hope that Tracy's scale is as accurate as I think mine is.
One of the complications of packing for this trip is the expected variables in the weather. The predicted morning temperatures in Portland Maine this time of year are around 40-45 in the morning (we get underway about 7:30 every day) while we should be seeing numbers like 70-80 when we get to South Carolina and south. I went out for one of my last training rides this morning with the temperature at 51 and even with a long sleeved shirt under my cycling jersey I felt the cold for a good five miles until I was warmed up enough to not notice. I promptly came home and added ear covers, warm socks and cold weather, long sleeved bike jersey to my duffel bags. They tell me that it is possible to see temps in the thirties in the mornings in Maine - I think we will all be praying for lots of sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment