Pages

Saturday, September 24, 2011

It will get better....please.

So who says that cyclists are maniacs obsessed with their bikes and the road? The first photo is proof that we have a sensitive, contemplative side as well. Gotta stop and smell the roses occasionally. And by the same token stuff happens, tires go flat, and we stop for those too. More on yesterday....When I got in last night the first order of business was to clean the bike. The hotel provides rags and a hose and we try to flush out the road sand and grit. I was having a bit of an issue with shifting and so I turned it over to our mechanic. In the process of fixing he broke a key bolt on the derailleur. Fortunately there was an open bike shop within a mile of the hotel and the mechanic hopped in his car and brought it over to the hotel....I was not happy with the repair but at least I'd be ready for today's ride. So today the forecast was for more rain and possible flooding and, oh yeah, heavy fog too. But to the delight of all we woke up to wet roads but no rain and gray rather than black clouds. With about 68 miles to Windsor Locks we headed out from the hotel with the very light Saturday morning traffic hoping that maybe before the day ended we might even see some sun. The streets were still a bit damp but even after 95 miles yesterday I felt good and was about halfway up our first climb of the day when I heard the clatter of chain and metal hitting the spokes of the rear wheel and came to such an abrupt stop that I almost fell off the bike. Bottom line: the derailleur metal housing had literally sheared in half, something I would have never even thought possible. All of this at the 4.3 mile mark meaning that my day was over before I had even raised a sweat. So as I write the bike is with the mechanic, he is awaiting the delivery of the new parts and they assure me I will ride tomorrow - another 95 miler ("near-century") to Fishkill New York. Between the weather and the weird bike problems I'm really starting to feel a little like the biblical Job..."how long Lord, how long?" I'm going down now to check on the bike and here's hoping tomorrow is another day and we can simply ride without all the drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment