Pages

Friday, June 4, 2010

A real summer day

I was on an unexpected backroad and thinking of Kansas and Missouri - because I'm reading all the blogs of the current crop of XC'rs - when I came upon this scene. Sure enough it is still New Jersey but if you look real close and squint your eyes just a bit you can imagine those amber waves of grain and....Well anyhow, the clouds are pretty and it's still a nice little pastoral scene, albeit in New Jersey not Kansas. I did have my share of mini-adventures today but it was a good ride. I was maybe 8 miles out when I reached for a water bottle and realized there was nothing in the two racks. I decided very quickly to retrace my steps and go back home using the recovery route as a kind of training ride - full out for eight miles. Well maybe not full full out but I did push it and felt good for the effort. The bottles were, of course, right where I left them in the garage next to the pump. So back on my way and this maybe 14 miles out and I ran into a road paving operation and a detour up the back road where I found the little scene above....Lots of traffic for a little country road with no shoulders but no problems. Another maybe 6 miles and I ran into another road project with two lanes becoming one and lots of traffic backed up in both directions. This was a little bit more hairy to get through but I turned off at the first opportunity and decided I would think through my entire route home and stay away from the construction folks. So I pretty much stayed on the country roads, followed a couple of little streams that I like - passed a trout fisherman and large blue heron, also fishing I would guess - and managed to get in a little climbing as well. It should also be noted that the temps hit 90 today - first day that I've been out in that kind of heat but lots of liquids and I actually kind of enjoyed it....And finally, on the last few miles heading home I made a left turn and felt a kind of soft slide in the rear tire...stopped to look and sure enough, a very soft but still ride-able tire. The remaining four miles or so were done very carefully but the tire retained enough air to get me home although it is very flat as I write this. Actually this is the first flat I've had with the new bike and certainly the first since almost a year ago - I will be refreshing my skills tomorrow but is always better to change a tire in the garage than on the road.
So for the day, 64 miles, 2700 feet of climbing, and a little over four hours on the bike...a good day in spite of the minor annoyances....And they are talking rain tomorrow and Sunday so I may get a forced recovery day or two.

1 comment:

  1. The best I could do this morning was 30 miles and 1,400 feet of climb. Palos Verdes isn't nearly as pretty as your images, but we do have the Pacific Ocean to look at. RSRO.

    ReplyDelete