Pages

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The forecast this morning was for a wicked hot day and the reality did not disappoint. I started out with temps already in the 80s and by the time I got home (four hours or so later) it was 92. Amazingly once I got rolling I almost enjoyed the heat. I went through a huge amount of liquid and had to stop at a couple of country deli's for more water bottles - aside: I always wonder whether these little places that sell water by the bottle would simply give tap water if we asked for it? In the end I did about 65 miles and went past the 2000 mile mark for the year.
One of my stops today made me think of Nancy from XC09. Along one of my frequent routes is a former private airport. It was, in fact, one of the very last grass landing strips in the country until it was sold a couple of years ago. In fact, one bit of trivia is that it was used by Charles Lindberg in the late 20s/early 30s - the Lindberg family lived about 20 miles from the airport until the very famous kidnapping of Charles Jr. in (I think) 1932. In any case the little airport carried on for years and was a favorite with some of the local aviation fans for years. It was sold to a joint venture of three towns to become a soccer facility for the three town leagues. Behind the old hangar there are still three unclaimed airplanes that just kind of sit while the grass grows higher and higher around them. I'm sure the kids need the soccer field but it is also kind of a shame to see this bit of aviation history gradually fading away. Was also thinking today of how much I'm going to miss the XC10 riders and their blogs. They have one more long day and then the ceremonial ride to the Atlantic and their long adventure will be history. I feel like I have come to know them and have really enjoyed following and occasionally commenting on their stories. I have strong feelings for the group that did XC09 but it has been interesting to see this group come together and hear them comment on the bonding that takes place on a shared adventure like a cross country bike trip. We who ride bikes become part of an amazing culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment