Pages

Friday, April 30, 2010

Summer already...

The last day of April but it seems like the first day of summer. After days of cold blustery winds we had temps up to 80 today - and NO wind, how great is that? I did 61 miles with a total ascent of 3600 ft and an average speed of 15 - pretty respectable, and more importantly, a thoroughly enjoyable ride. I loved this scene in the photo - what actually caught my eye as I went flying by was the overturned boat off to the left - the color and design made me think of the Vietnamese fishing boats I remember from many years ago. All that is missing is the eye painted onto the bow. The photo that I could not get was my meeting with a wild turkey. I was going up a longish hill that always slows me down a bit. Mr turkey came out of the woods on the left (country road, no traffic) and took a couple of steps downhill towards me. When he noticed this strange creature in a colorful jersey and sitting on a two-wheeled "thing" he stopped, kind of gave me the eye as if thinking "what is this thing doing in my backyard?" At this point he turned and continued across the road and into the woods. I kept right on climbing and as he stepped off the road and into the brush I was maybe 5/6 feet from him but my presence did not seem to bother him in the least and he continued to saunter into the woods as if he owned the world. One of those semi-magic moments that makes New Jersey such a surprising place.

2 comments: