Pages

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

And the answer is....

And the question is, of course, what happened to spring? The good news about New Jersey is that you need only wait a couple of hourse, maybe a day, and things will change. Today was one of those "ten best days of the year". Beautiful spring day: deep blue sky punctuated by hundreds of white, puffy clouds, minimal wind and a high temperature of maybe 70. At one point I was riding through an area of freshly plowed fields and looking across the shiny brown earth to the green trees and the sky and I slid right into the gravel on the side of the road - another six inches and I would have been in the ditch doing what we call an Arty Johnson (remember Laugh-in ?). I did 47 miles and climbed 2700 feet over 3 hours - great ride. My mind was kind of reeling today. I recently made contact with my college class "keeper of the lists" after many years of virtually no contact at all. I received a listing of everybody they have found and even a photo album of a reunion that was held this past December. And then within the last week or so I have learned of one severe heart attack and the guy is in the hospital basically on life support while his wife issues bulletins and asks for support and prayers. Then a couple days ago an e-mail arrived telling me of a guy who I knew well who was rushed to the hospital on Easter and has since learned that he has stage 4 lung cancer - and all this just a few days before his 70th birthday. My memory is of a guy who was an excellent athlete, excelled at intramural everything as well as an all around nice guy. I simply could not get him out of my mind today...It is almost incomprehensible that I would be out on my bike going up and down hills, looking for the flats to move into high gear and just having a great day and knowing that this old friend has been basically told he has six months to a year if he is lucky. I know, of course, that the philosophers have been pondering such situations for centuries and the questions are many, the answers few but that makes it no less disconcerting. I did sit down today and write this guy (also named Bob) a birthday card but it seemed woefully inadequate. Life goes on but can be cruel and unfair - I know it is a cliche but here's another lesson in living in the present and grabbing for the ring while it is there to grab.

1 comment:

  1. Events like this flash before us every day. It is the now of each minute that we have to love. Beep. Beep!

    ReplyDelete