Pages

Friday, December 11, 2009

Cycling with football...

Another cold and windy day in NJ - I want my sunny days back. I don't mind riding in the cool weather but my threshold is at about 40 degrees and no wind. When the wind chill factor drops below 40 the bike remains on the hooks. And so I have just finished my third session this week on the indoor bike. I have it set up in front of the TV in our catch-all TV-Computer-Exercise room. The truth be told I hate the indoor cycling: it is boring, kind of mindless, excercise for the sake of excercise. I feel good when it is over but the process really puts me off. I turn on the TV and watch either one of the news stations or a sports station. I have found that I can usually find a "classic" football game, i.e. one from the 80s or 90s and since I usually have no clue who won it is like watching the game fresh. The best plays for cycling are the running plays. As the runner twists and turns through the line and into the open field I start applying my own body english and I find myself increasing intensity and pushing harder, almost like going up hill as I change into a tougher gear. Long passes can be good too but tend to be more momentary - the receiver stretches and I tend to go up with him but then he falls back to earth and I'm back on the seat and just spinning waiting for the next play.... And so I've worked up a sweat for today, feel good about getting some exercise and its time to get a shower and move on with the day - how I envy those Californians who can go out almost every day.

3 comments:

  1. I am one of those Californians. It has been pretty cold (maybe not as cold as where you live), but like you I do not like biking indoors. When I lived in cold cities I used to read magazines or biked during the morning with Sportscenter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain. It's raining in SoCal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been cold and raining here in SA. I keep telling myself to get on my trainer, but the thought of being bored to death keeps me off. I will bite the bullet soon, especilly since my deposit has been sent off.

    ReplyDelete