Pages

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

A little easier....

Another great New Jersey fall day - and there are deer in that field - really! The second is a pretty little pond where the swan rules. And as you might guess from the leaves we still have color but the peak is definitely behind us. A couple of days of rain last week followed by just a bit of wind and most of the leaves are now on the ground. Not a great thing for the leaf-peepers but not such a bad thing for people (like me) who have a ton of leaves to blow and rake out to the street.
Today was kind of a rehab milestone, of which I've had a few recently. I headed east toward Assunpink and Allentown - lots country roads but not too many big hills. And for the first time I did just a bit better than fifty miles - and aside from the usual creaking of bones I feel pretty good tonight. And in addition to the photos I had a red-tail hawk fly just a few feet above me trying to hold onto his lunch: a squirrel that dropped right into my path (but was obviously beyond saving). And I also spotted a red fox running through the edge of weathered corn field. These guys are pretty good at staying hidden but they are a pretty sight when they make a rare appearance. And once again I'm reminded of the reasons I enjoy cycling so much. Beyond the sheer physical pleasure of the turning crank and rolling wheels the sights of the countryside are simply a gift. I go home feeling peaceful, my head clear, and my spirit more alive with that sense of joy the afternoon in this wonderful world can provide....And the weekend ahead promises to be very nice - maybe I'll make it to the covered bridge.

3 comments:

  1. you are really getting back into the swing of things. I think the bones aching are just your bodies way of saying welcome back to bike riding, Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sending your sister over to my blog. It was nice to get a post for a new voice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara, I found and followed everyones blogs since the beginning of your XC09. I am so fascinated with the whole idea.
    I am such a 'wannabe'. It has inspired me to get out and ride more even though I don't spend the time and dedicated training all of you do. Marge

    ReplyDelete