Pages

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

We slept in and left an hour later than usual this morning - because it was a shorter day (68 miles) and to make up for the hour we lost yesterday I guess. Tracy who is the Crossroads leader has the routine organized almost perfectly and the support for the riders is fantastic. But sometimes it gets funny. We have a quick communications meeting every day and then (usually) go to dinner as a group. I get this feeling every now and then that I'm in summer camp or boot camp - what's the schedule? what do I need to next? and what happens if I don't do it? We actually have plenty of time to do whatever but we do have an organized routine and Tracy watches closely to make sure it works. The good news is that it does work. The SAGS are always where they are supposed to be, the hotels have been great, and the folks doing the support functions are really good.
We headed out on a cool morning and had our first 20 miles or so on route 66 - good road and the Red Rocks of NM on our left for scenery. At mile 19 we got back on I40 and experienced a drastic change in the road. The shoulder was simply a mess: in addition to the usual junk we had gravel, crumbling pavement and a most uneven surface. Really ugly for bikes and when we get to Santa Fe I may just call Bill Richardson and lodge a complaint.
Fortunately 66 starts up again and at mile 30 we exited the interstate and were back on the historic highway. Almost immediately we arrived at the Continental Divide, the highlight of the day. Of course, we all posed for photos at the official sign and I took an extra photo of the ubiquitous trading post that has probably been there since 66 was built. The elevation at this point was 7275' which I believe is the high point of our trip. I bought a couple of postcards, wandered by the fireworks displays and passed on the moccasins and t-shirts.
From there we had pretty much a straight shot to Grants on 66. We had a bit of wind which could not really make up it's mind whether to be cross, head, or a tail wind but the road itself was beautiful. Much of it was recently re-paved and it was a real pleasure to just cruise after the disaster of I40. About 12 miles from Grants we stopped at a Dairy Queen/trading post for a cheeseburger and a shake. We pulled in with a stiff wind trying to blow us off the road - by the time we left the wind had shifted and was this wonderful tail wind. We did an easy -and fun - 20/22 mph all the way to Grants and our abode for the evening. We were racing a moving gray/black cloud all the way and with a couple of miles to go we started getting a very cold shower but we were so close to the hotel we just charged on and pulled in before it got heavy.
Tomorrow is 75 miles to Albuquerque and one of the real highlights of the ride for me - I will be visiting with daughter Beth, her husband Aaron and, of course, Sabine now 1yr & 1/2. Beth has invited Tom and I to dinner so am looking forward to a great evening....
And the the other photos...just two scenes from the ride today along 66 that I liked - enjoy.

4 comments:

  1. Awsome pics dad! Give a hug to Beth and family for us! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All downhill from here, right?
    You go bro!
    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you had a nice dinner tonight. I'm sure it was a treat after what I'm reading is a daily diet of cheeseburgers!!! Great photos; terrific journal - I too am enjoying the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt lost this morning no entry from yesterday.I am enjoying your journey. Be well Be safe

    ReplyDelete