Pages

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Las Vegas Without the Slots and Shows

First off tonight something I've been intending to do for several days now (the brain gets a little foggy after many hours on a bike) and that is to thank all you folks who add your comments to my postings. I started this blog thinking it would substitute for multi-phone calls to family and it has kind of developed a life of it's own. I am really flattered to think people are following it and, even more, enjoying it. I am truly loving the ride and the adventure and am happy to share it. There is no way I can respond other than to continue posting but know that the comments are the first thing I go to when I open the computer...I am enjoying them all (and Iowa Bob - I don't know how you found me but thanks and I'm glad you are enjoying this year's ride - I certainly enjoyed your stories.)
We woke with a bit of trepidation this morning. It rained off and on all day yesterday and the skies were cloudy and a bit forbidding when we went down to breakfast - and it was cool, verging on cold. So the jacket and long sleeves and off we went - leaving Santa Fe and heading for Las Vegas. We were promised a day with a bit of climbing and were not disappointed. We had about 4000 feet of climbs but it was mostly rolling with a few long downhill runs. For you AHers I think of today's climbs as Lindberg Road occasionally multiplied by 3 or 4 - very doable so long as you just keep the pedals going....
About 10/12 miles out of Santa Fe we came upon the monuments to the Glorieta battlefield and cemetery. Glorieta is referred to as the Gettysburg of the west - it is the site of the westernmost battle of the Civil War. A unit of Texan rebels thought they could take the west from the Union and they almost succeeded. The battlefield is now part federal park and part private ranch - the photo I have above is the original cemetery where some of the casualties were originally buried.
Another piece of good news today was that we had almost no time on Interstates - one little five mile stretch and that was it (although that was enough for Tom to pick up one of those evil little wires for another flat). And somewhere around mile 30 the sun came out and what had been a nice ride through nice country turned into one of the most beautiful (that word again-can't help myself) ride to date. Big puffy clouds, deep blue skies and mountains and mesas all around us - I wanted to stop for a lot more photos than would ever be possible on a day after day ride. I did include a couple above, however, that I hope will give you the general idea. And there is also one photo of one of our SAG stops - out in the middle of nowhere this ramshackle bar/market/gas station with about 16 dogs checking us out. Our last stop of the day? The local Dairy Queen in Las Vegas for a root beer float-can't beat it.
Tomorrow is a long one - 108 miles and desert again. It is supposed to be "moderate" temps for the desert (whatever that means) but I will be carrying plenty of water and Gatorade. G'night for now.

4 comments:

  1. Today turned out to be nicer than expected. I'm glad you didn't run into any serious weather on your way up there. Good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And your not to Kansas yet Todo! I always wanted to go to the other LasVegas, thanks for taking me there. I am beginning to wish I was retired and had the time to see the backroads.
    I am having a senior moment but the CBS guy who toured the backroads of America should have done it on a bike to really see the country.
    Have another great day hopefully the wind will be to your back.
    Ride Safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great talking to you tonight (Memorial Day)! Get some rest and have a great day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tom, it was Charles Kuralt - On the Road.

    Good to see your picture.

    ReplyDelete