Pages

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

And so it goes....

 Sourlands stream
Today was one of those days. I'm more and more focused on getting ready for my trip to Marysville and the completion of the cross-country adventure. So I did about 65 miles yesterday and figured I would follow up with another 60 or so today and maybe crank it up a bit tomorrow and do an 80. The day was perfect: sunny and warm and very little wind (of which we have had a lot this year). I passed a road named "Lost Rd" and thought I should really take a picture of that - how many times have I been lost and here is a street sign which defines it. While I am slightly distracted I hit a real pothole and immediately I have my very first flat of the year. So no big deal right? I've changed hundreds of flats, this won't take long. I pull the tube, find the leak and check the tire, no problem. Insert new tube, fire up the CO2 and wham, the second tube is immediately flat. The hole is in a completely different place and is not the snake eyes of a pothole flat but a little tear in the tire that looks like one caused by glass. So I go over the tire one more time: nothing, it is in fact almost new and the inside looks fine. I try a little patch and fire up the CO2 (my last one) again. Same result - I've now had three flats in about 8 minutes and have no more tubes, no more CO2. I have only my phone and a rough idea of how to give Susan directions - assuming that is that she if even home....Needless to say I did connect, she did figure out how to find me - GPS's are wonderful - and the crippled bike and I made it safely home. And hour later I had torn the tube out again, thoroughly examined both wheel and tire and could find nothing wrong. So I pumped up tube 3 and will wait and see. And Susan and I decided it was a good night to go out for dinner - she earned it and I wanted a cold beer....
On another note I've been following a couple of blogs from the cross country group. They are somewhere East of Flagstaff Arizona seeing high desert and lots of climbing. I am truly looking forward to meeting them in Marysville in a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment