Pages

Friday, May 10, 2013

A perfect spring day...


After three days of rain the sun came out this morning and we had what was perhaps our first almost-summer day. The temps went up to the low eighties and there was barely a cloud in the sky. I went out thinking of my cross-country colleagues who are now assembling in Los Angeles and will set out on their epic adventure on Sunday morning. There are emails flying all over the place and even though I don't join the group until Marysville Ohio I am part of the group address so I am part of the excitement although from a considerable distance. One part of me is a bit envious but by the same token I also think I have a bit more training to do before I'm really ready for the day to day rigors of the tour. I'm just as happy riding the New Jersey roads for awhile. And in that vein I had some good news yesterday...Tom Ryan (my roomie from both '09 and the Maine/Fla ride) wants to go out with me to Ohio and ride the first day with the group. It will be good to start off my ride with him - will be an auspicious and appropriate start for the ride.            
The photo at top, left is interesting. I stopped for a bit of water and a fig newton along a country road and the little flag caught my eye. It turns out to be a kind of mini-cemetery from the late 1700s. And more surprising, all the grave markers that I could read were Revolutionary War veterans/casualties. There are the half dozen standing markers and then maybe another 8 or 10 small markers flush with the ground that go back a few yards into the woods. Although it is a bit overgrown it is also obvious that someone must tend these grave sites on at least an occasional basis. It was an amazing little discover and I was somewhat overwhelmed by the significance of the site. And an interesting coincidence...roughly a mile away is one of the largest active military cemeteries in New Jersey; in fact a funeral headed for the gate passed by as I was taking my photos.                                                                                                                                     
The second photo is simply a pretty horse farm - don't ask where the horses are, they were there last week- that I thought worth stopping to take a shot.                                                                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment