Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

Role reversal...

Wow, what a long time since the last entry - time flies when you are doing stuff... Almost a year ago to the day I was placing a finis on my rehab and climbing back on my (brand new) bike for my first post-motorcycle ride. For the past couple of weeks I've been away from the bike for a different reason. Susan had her second knee replaced four weeks ago and I have gone into the caretaker mode that she did so well for me. She measures her rehab progress on a day to day basis - sometimes reverting to hour to hour - and is generally doing quite well for someone who has had a body part cut out and replaced with a man-made substitute. She folded up the walker this morning and is now using the cane exclusively - she can go up the stairs by herself and even did her own lunch yesterday.... I guess she is not yet tired of my cooking since she shows no signs of doing dinner yet. Actually, as my daughter pointed out yesterday, we are lucky to have each other for support - life is good. Meantime, I finally pulled the bike down from the hooks in the garage yesterday and went out to view the fall colors. I realized how quickly we are moving into autumn when I felt better in a long sleeved jersey and could forget the sunscreen I was still using my last trip out. I did 40 or so miles on a gorgeous day with no significant adventures other than waving to lots of other cyclists doing the same thing on a Sunday afternoon. Today I'm a bit stiff after the layoff but maybe another ride is in the offing this afternoon and I'll go out to find my legs again.

No comments:

Post a Comment