Pages

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Days are shorter, shadows are longer...

It was truly an absolutely gorgeous fall day today. The sun was bright, no wind and temps of maybe 65 when I headed out the door. We are just starting to see real fall color - and I say "real" advisedly. Because of the drought in these parts that we experienced in July through September a lot of trees started shedding their leaves a month ago but it was not the usual fall thing - it was simply the lack of water. And so I suspect that our typical New Jersey autumn display is going to be a bit less spectacular this year. However, there are some signs of the season and I did take a few photos to prove it.
The lower angle of the sun changes the scenery in a dramatic fashion. The very long shadows of the trees and sun shining through the golden leaves makes even the familiar roads seem fresh and different. I did about 60 miles today and came home about 5:00 somewhat surprised to realize that there really was not much daylight left...I hate to think of five 0'clock street lights and, even worse, freezing temps, snow....already I'm looking forward to a couple weeks in Florida.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pictures. We need more sunlight during the day !!!

    ReplyDelete