Pages

Sunday, April 7, 2013

A Change of Scenery

At long last a day of blue skies, sunshine and only a bit of wind. And so I can replace the wintry snow photo with something much more spring-like. The roads were thick with cyclists yesterday and I was one of them. The temps were still only in the high forties but the sun was bright and warm and no clouds to dampen the heat. We actually had a couple of sunny days during the past week but with heavy duty winds, i.e. blowing up to 30 mph, not fun for a cyclist. I wasn't out more than ten minutes yesterday when I came upon a group of maybe 15-20 cyclists in a group and that to me is even more a sign of spring than the first robin. I am starting up my training agenda for my cross country completion trip in June. Even though it is a few clicks less than a thousand miles I realize that I still need to train as if I were doing the whole trip. The first day will be 96 miles with lots of climbing (who knew there were hills in Ohio?) and, of course, we get up early the next morning and do another 85 miles or so and then keep that schedule for a couple of weeks through to Boston. My goal is to get enough miles in that I can do a rehearsal century by the end of May - I will then feel ready to join with the gang in Marysville that has just come more than halfway cross country. Yesterday was good for fifty miles in under three hours so it's only fifty to go...Next will be a birthday ride in a couple of weeks: goal is 73 miles at 16 mph. Should be a piece of cake - with or without candles.

3 comments:

  1. I heard you were going to complete your XC ride this year. Yeah. I will see you in Marysville. I am doing the whole ride again. Yesterday as I was doing a local metric century, I began to wonder why! It will be great to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great and sounds great. hope weather continues to cooperate for your 'training' days. love, your sis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan...am looking forward to seeing both you and Hank. I envy you doing the whole XC again but it wasn't in the cards for me this year. Hang in there - you've got another month, you will be ready.

    ReplyDelete