Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Into the home stretch...

We are sitting in the sun in Brunswick Georgia, the only sun we have seen all day. We started in Savannah with wet streets and the threat of some scattered showers. It was warm and humid, I didn't even bring my rain jacket - figured if it rained I've had lots of practice, could I be any wetter than I was coming into Savannah? We were not more than 10 minutes away from our hotel and still riding as a big group when we ran into a train just sitting on the tracks. Traffic was already backed up and considering that it was rush hour I'm guessing there were a few unhappy folks sitting in vehicles. We managed to work our way to the front but still had to wait 25 minutes before the train started to move. This was also the closest we came to real rain - it sprinkled lightly for a few minutes but never really came down as real rain. Once we were clear to ride we were back on highway 17, the route we have been on for the last several days. In all honesty it was something of a boring ride. We had miles and miles of pine woods, mostly tree farms owned by a couple of big paper manufacturers. The roads occasionally rumble with the passing of the big trucks hauling the logs down the highway and I would like to say I got a photo of one of them-however, discretion is the better part of valor: by the time I'm ready to take a picture they are long gone. The only relief from the miles of woods is the occasional tidal rivers that wind all through this area - I did stop at one bridge and also caught the heavy clouds that marked the day. The little church was the only real stop (other than the SAG) that we made all day. The sign calls it the World's Smallest Church and while I'm sure it ranks right up there it seems to me I've seen the same claim in at least a couple of other locations around the country. For the day we did 83 miles over mostly good roads and at 15.5 avg mph we didn't push as hard and even if the scenery was pretty repetitious it was still a good day. Tomorrow we cross into our 13th and final state and because we have shorter mileage days - 60+ tomorrow - we get to sleep in. And I'm about to start that process any moment now.....

No comments:

Post a Comment