Pages

Friday, October 9, 2009

And with a matching helmet...

That is a bike that just finished it's maiden voyage - the first trip of what I hope will be many miles. I had my fitting yesterday, picked up the bike this morning and was on the road within the hour. I didn't go far - maybe 20 miles - but it felt like the ride of the year for me. The bike is a Cannondale Synapse and it is truly a dream bike. It is light as a feather (and you might notice I went out without the added weight of the seat pack - no flats fortunately) and is a marvel to ride. But for me even more of a marvel was that I am on any bike and enjoying it. I started out with a tour of the closed circuit of our neighborhood. I ran through my mental checklist: turn, shift your weight, clip in and clip out, stop, avoid the potholes etc, etc...I turned out onto the street with "real" traffic watching for everything. I headed into the first intersection with a traffic light and a left turn lane with just a bit of trepidation - a lot of double-checking (is that redundant?) before I moved into the left turn lane. And I must say that once that little hurdle was passed it was all good. The bike is without doubt the best - I felt like Lance moving along the road. The ankle and leg felt good and I loved every curve and little rise the the road gave me.
It is so good to be back....

6 comments:

  1. I'm very happy to hear that you have the new bike and are back in the saddle again! Nice bike!

    RSRO (ride safely, ride often),
    Jim Lyle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob,
    CONGRATULATIONS on your return to the saddle! It must have felt GREAT to be "on the road again" (I hope you don't mind if I continue your musical quotations from your early blog postings).
    The new Cannondale looks awesome, and the helmet too! I wish you the very best of luck as you begin this relationship with your new two wheeled companion.
    Stay safe, and I'll see you on the road soon!
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob,

    Great to see that you are back on the bike. The first few feet were probably the toughest, but you will eventually be back to where you were before the accident.

    I wish you were there with me in Pasadena yesterday so that you could have helped me when I got lost.

    I know that someone on the tours was a Twins fan and I think that was you. So good luck in the playoffs. And if I am wrong then I attribute that to old age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful - great to see the new bike & helmet finally. Are you getting ready to join Lance in January in Australia????
    Hope your NJ weather cooperates with mild Fall temps for you.
    Congrats, it looks great.

    ReplyDelete