Pages

Friday, January 24, 2014

Spirit of Cycling

The tempeerature is showing about 11 degrees and there is about 10/12 inches of snow on the ground - at the same time the sun is shining and the sky is a beautiful blue. What a day for a bike ride, right? Well, the good news is that my poor body has recovered to the point where I am now doing 12/13 miles per session on the stationary bike in our community gym. I generally hate the non-moving, indoor bike experience but after three major surgeries and a four month layoff I'm thrilled just to have my legs moving. I started out slowly and have not yet programmed in anything but the gentlest of hills but I've got some energy back and am really starting to feel pretty good again. To complete this comeback tale I also joined up with my tennis buddies yesterday and played an hour and a half of tennis. I will not pretend that I bore any resemblance to Rafa or Roger but I managed to move around and I could hit without pain. And, perhaps more importantly, I am still moving around today without any problems. So, now that I have worked my way back to some semblance of normalcy I have one more appointment with the surgeon. I will go back in the hospital the day after Super Bowl Sunday for the thyroid surgery. I had some preliminary testing this past week which indicated that once again the cancer is confined to the thyroid - the lymphy nodes all appear to be clear. I am told that this one should be a little easier - maybe I will have the doctor put that in writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment