Pages

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Payback....

Yesterday and today are probably two of the finest days of the summer. The temperature is maybe 76, 77 degrees, light puffy couds and blue skies, and virtually zero humidity. So am I out riding? No, I am not. Instead of being on the bike I spent yesterday morning at the dermatologist's and today I was at home recuperating. Recuperating from what you might ask (or you might not but I will tell you anyway).
Among other things on my "to-do" list after the ride to Boston was to catch up on some doctor visits. And on the list was a trip to the dematologist. Needless to say I spend a lot of time in the sun - actually I grew up in the era when we sat on the beach and baked because to have a deep tan was to be "cool". Well, I have found out that down the road there is payment exacted for that kind of "cool". My doctor found three little spots she labeled basal cell carcinoma...certainly not as bad as malanoma but that "carcinoma" word sure is an attention getter. And so yesterday morning I submitted to what they call Mohs surgery on the upper portion of one ear - yes, the ear of all places. They basically slice off a layer at the site, test it, let you go if it is OK or bring you back in and slice off some more until they get it all. So I had two iterations with the surgeon and the scalpel and then when home with a huge bandage on my ear. I am told that they very frequently see this kind of thing on the ear because people are very careful to lather up the arms, the face, etc but often don't even consider the ears...So, on the one hand I'm very glad they got it all but then I remember the blisters I had from the sun going through the desert on the XC in 09. Direct connection? Who knows but I'm sure it didn't help. Meanwhile, the weather forecast for tomorrow is more of the same great weather and you can bet I will be covered in the best sunscreen money can buy.

1 comment:

  1. I never forget to apply sunscreen behind on over the ears as I have had some heated expereinces.

    ReplyDelete