Pages

Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day...

After one of the worst springs I can remember - cold and lots of rainy days - it seems like summer just dropped on us out of nowhere. I played tennis on Saturday morning and we got the best (clay) court at the club but in full sun. Fortunately it was morning and we did have all four of our group show up. But at the end of three sets I was dripping wet and more than ready to go home for the shower. Today I headed out on the bike but didn't leave until about 12:30. Of course, that means full sun and of all the days of the weekend this was the warmest. I took a modified version of the Anchor House training ride...went through Lambertville, then up a couple of backroads that I knew to be hilly but with lots of shade and no traffic. Among other things I startled a red fox on the road and I think I saw a bald eagle when I was near the river. In any event the route I followed was hilly enough that I did more climbing than I really anticipated - 3500' on a 55 mile ride: it seemed every time I looked at my computer I was doing a 12 or 14% grade although I do know there were a few flats in there too. I stopped in to everybody's favorited Chinese deli in Sergeantsville - first time this year I think - and along with a cold drink poured a little water over my head to bring the temperature down a little. Really, was a great ride through a lot of territory I like but have not seen much of this year. Was nice to leave all the stress of the house behind and just get out to the country and enjoy the scenery. I know the reunion ride is still a ways off but I am going to have to get into some sort of routine to get my wheels in shape. And I'm still thinking of catching one day of the XC11 and would like to think I could ride a days with a couple of those folks without embarassing myself.....

1 comment: