Pages

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Almost gone...

And with just a little luck even this last lingering bit of snow will disappear with the rains that are coming in over the weekend. I've been out three of the last six days and the temperature has been in the fifties and even into the low sixties - almost seems like spring might be here in a day or so. Monday I actually should have put on a sunscreen - Susan's first comment was over the little bit of color I picked up on my nose. And yesterday it was overcast but warm enough and no wind...almost perfect. Anybody who has lived in the East for more than a couple of years knows how often we have had snowstorms into April but I'm putting my bets down on no more snow....we shall see.
One of my favorite Christmas presents this year was a new Garmin bike computer and I have been breaking it in the last few days. It collects and displays data on just about everything that a cyclist wants - and then some. I have always had the basic speed and mileage computer, of course, and have seen the Garmin GPS on others' bikes but I guess maybe I was just too cheap to get one for myself. So now I am tracking cadence in addition to MPH, hill gradient and heart beat (and they are related), and then downloading it all to the computer when I come home. Yesterday I took one of my favorite routes (to Sergeantsville and home via Lindbergh Road) and checked out the grade of some of my favorite hills, watched my heartbeat go up and down and did my best to keep a consistent cadence...and also kept reminding myself to keep my eyes on the road and traffic. So I am now looking for a worthy recipient for my almost-new "old" bike computer. And wondering why I didn't have this fun thing for the cross country last summer. Thank you Susan.

2 comments:

  1. Your new Garmin sounds like something Nancy had during our trip last year. I remember we met some Garmin employees in a parking lot on our way to Topeka and Nancy was discussing Garmin technolgy.

    Bob - I laughed out loud when I read your comment on my blog about Peter and his robe. Glad (?) someone else had the same experience.

    Keep on ridng.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gonna miss riding with you this year! But, glad to know that your still out ridin' and that you recovered from your injuries.

    ReplyDelete