Pages

Friday, July 24, 2009

Moving on....

The box sat in the garage unopened for several days. I had some advice from a very good source that I shouldn't even open it - just put the whole box out at the curb and let them haul it away. A few days ago my son-in-law came down to do the lawn and together we opened the box and pulled out what is left of the bike. Curiously enough I had no emotional reaction whatsoever. I noticed immediately that there are more fractures to the bike than to my personal frame - there were five breaks to the bike that I could see, an x-ray would probably pick up a few more. So I have salvaged the wheels (can you believe I began the morning of 6/15 by changing the front tire, I had changed the rear tire the day before) and, of course, the seat pack with the road tools. So last night the bike went to the curb and this morning I looked out to see the trash truck moving down the street with the blue bike sitting on top of all the other rubbish. And so this morning, along with watching the Tour de France - a very exciting stage today by the way - I went into the Cannondale web site and clicked on the Synapse. They have discontinued the 6/13 which was easily my best bike ever but I found I can get pretty excited looking through the specs of the new models...again, not that I planned it that way but it does give me something to look forward to. I had an offer from someone (who must remain anonymous at this point) to serve as my SAG if and when I return to Ohio to finish what I started in May. I don't know how or when but that is the kind of encouragement that gets me through these days of too much confinement. And, another thought that is a bit overdue...From the moment I went into the hospital Susan has been the support I could not have survived without. She spent ten days in Columbus and through a couple of really awful nights was there for me in ways that the hospital people just couldn't match. And since I have been home she has been my constant attendant....I know that that is what marriage is supposed to be about but there are no words for me say thanks for her support and help....She is terrific. And today's update: I can put weight on the leg so long as I use crutches and keep the boot/cast on the leg. I cannot climb ladders but at least I can climb the stairs and move around the house with a bit more independance - hurray! I am still battling the clot but have finally discontinued the shots in the belly and just taking the coumidin every day. Eventually that will go away too. There are still so many e-mails floating back and forth from folks on the ride that it still seems like just a couple of days ago that the ride ended - a truly marvelous group of people. Stay tuned -I am looking forward to the day I'm back on the road.

5 comments:

  1. I can just see you hobbling into your local bike shop on your crutches and asking if they take trade-ins!

    OMG, seeing that complete break in the frame gave me an emotional response! You are so lucky in so many ways, from being alive to tell it all and to having Susan in your life.

    sis' in TX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, crap! I just remembered, Cannondale has a trade in policy on frames, even if damaged in a crash. Take the above picture to your local bike shop and have them talk to their Cannondale representative! With any luck, they may still give you a break on a new frame even if the old one is in a landfill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was awesome seeing you in such good health and spirits today! What a difference a few weeks can make. I have had a very hard time dealing with the memories of seeing you in the hospital those first few days... and now you are doing so great! God bless Susan for taking such good care of you, and God bless you for being such a trooper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob,

    Just saw your post to my blog today.
    I do not think that people who did not take part in the trip realize the emotional bond that everyone made from the start of the trip to the end of it together. It is that bond that stengthen us each day and the one that I miss the most.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its so sad that you had to part with your bike and all the memories. I hope that on your final leg of your trip we will ride again together. Tout! Tout!

    ReplyDelete