Pages

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Moving time...

So with the bike pretty much a wreck (the rider too but you already knew that) this is my new vehicle of choice. Don't have to worry about rain, has enough power to neutralize those persistent headwinds, and it sure does get you there in time for dinner. The folks at Medi Flight sent this to me so I thought I'd better get a photo in while I can.
They moved me out of the hospital yesterday and into a rehab hospital in Columbus. And, much as I really want to go home it was the right decision. I don't think I would have survived fifty miles in a car - actually I'm not at all sure I could get into a car. I met my the therapist today and she suggested I think in terms of at least a week. I don't have anything but praise and gratitude for the doctors at OSU but I have learned a few things about our healthcare system. Part of the job is to treat the immediate problem and then get you moving on as quickly as possible. Tuesday when they were telling me I could expect to go home on Thursday, I think what they really meant was that we are finished here and it is time to move on.
In any event the rehab center is terrrific so far. I compare it with what Susan had (when she had her knee replaced) and I think I have landed in the right place. The job now is to get mobile, get in and out of bed,, to master the walker and crutches. It does seem a little bit strange - last week at this time I was anticipating our last couple of centuries...wow.
I did go through a couple of the blogs today and it sounds like I missed a couple of tough days: lots of rain and more of those ugly headwinds. But the end is in sight guys-I wish each of you a safe and fun ride through New York, Vermont and on to Boston.....
A final note: Susan brought me my helmet today. I had graphic testimony of what I already knew. The helmet was not bad when looking at the outside. It had a few dents and scrapes but flipping it over was another story. There were four severe cracks in the liner and who knows how many that were not visible. Again that relatively minor investment was worth more to me than the few thousands I put into the bike - quite simply that helmet saved my life. I may have it framed and hung in a place of honor (maybe over the fireplace, although I suspect Susan might have some thoughts on that).
I don't think I'm through with this blog yet although I do not plan to document all my aches and pains over the next few weeks - maybe just a few progess reports..But I do need to say how much I have been affected by the supportive comments on both the blog and a few e-mails. You are people I know and people I don't know but I can hardly say how much your kind words and good wishes have meant to me - thank you all.

4 comments:

  1. Bob,

    I hope that you make a full recovery and that you do not give up the dream to bike cross country.

    It was a pleasure meeting you and we all think of you and how you are doing. The fact that you are posting on your blog is great so we can know that you are doing better.

    Ira

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, buddy! I'm ecstatic to hear that you are making progress. Last time I saw you, you didn't look so good. Thank goodness for bicycle helmets. We miss you and hope for a speedy recovery. If you are ever in Los Angeles, you know where to find me.

    Best,
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bob, I didn't read your blog for last week cause I was away and DJ gave me a heads up about your accident. So sorry to hear about what happened Bob. I was shocked. But I am also so happy to hear that outside of a few broken bones and a non-trivial amount of pain, that you are okay, and importantly with no head injuries. Your spirit is indominatable, and is in fact more inspiring to me than the 2500 miles you logged. You are still my hero Bob!! I wish you a speedy recovery and please stay as positive as you have been! My good wishes are with you. Ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob,
    Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope this note finds you feeling a bit better and healing up fast.

    The positive way of looking at this is to offer you congratulations on riding 2500 miles across most of America! You can always go back and finish the Ohio to Boston part some other time.

    Your story about being rushed to an emergency room far from home is very reminiscent of my wife Jeanne’s experience in Washington, DC when she broke her leg severely two years ago. They told her she would only be in the hospital a few days after the initial operation. We initially thought that that meant I could take her home after that. What they really meant was that she could then be transferred to a rehab center in Virginia and stay another week! During that week we had to jump through a bunch of hoops with the hospital and Blue Cross/Blue Shield to get her transferred via a 4-hour ambulance ride back to St Lawrence in NJ. Once we got to NJ there was another operation and a week in RW Johnson hospital and then back for another week to St Lawrence rehab center. So the bottom line was that it took about a month to actually get her back home. The good thing was that she was getting good care all along the way that eventually helped her heal up nearly as good as new.

    The most important thing for you and your wife to keep in mind is to realize that it’s not in Ohio’s hospital or rehab center’s interest for you to go home to NJ. They will be quite happy to have you stay and heal up there as long as your insurance will pay for it. You may have to make a bunch of phone calls and do some of the leg work (sorry about that) to get yourself back to NJ where you want to be to recover. That was our experience.

    The other import thing is to keep a positive attitude and to celebrate small improvements in your health as they occur during your recovery. It’s what kept my wife and I going during her recovery.

    Well good luck, heal fast, and hope to see you back in NJ soon.

    Tom

    PS - Oh by the way, we collected for AH at St Paul’s this year without you since you were on the big trip. Pete Harris took your place and spoke at each of the masses and we did alright. I think we collected somewhere around $7000, which is about the same as last year.

    PSS – I’m hoping that you didn’t mention that you were from Michigan before the Ohio State doctors operated on you! You might have ended up with a buckeye shaped scar on your ankle or leg otherwise!

    ReplyDelete